Lester took a no-hitter into a sixth inning and authorised one run (unearned) over his 8 innings of work, though a Sox struggled to beget offense of their possess opposite Masahiro Tanaka, who tossed all 9 innings for New York.
Both teams scored a run every in a third inning, with David Ross attack a solo homer off Tanaka in a tip of a support and the Yankees cashing in on a messy inning from a Sox that enclosed an blunder from Stephen Drew and a strike batter.
Lester’s no-hit bid was damaged adult by a Brett Gardner singular to lead off a bottom of a sixth inning.
Koji Uehara pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning for a Red Sox to acquire his 17th save of a season.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE RED SOX
– Though he was held attempting to widen a singular into a double (see below), Dustin Pedroia had 3 hits on a night for a Sox. It was Pedroia’s initial three-hit diversion given Jun 7 opposite a Tigers.
– Pedroia came by large in a margin in a bottom of a eighth inning with a diving stop on a belligerent round from Derek Jeter. With Gardner carrying walked to lead off a eighth, Pedroia pacifist to get to a round and flipped it from his glove to Drew to start a 4-6-3 double play.
– It was a good night for Ross, who also threw out Gardner in a bottom of a sixth inning.
– Things went from terrifying to all good for a Sox in a bottom of a eighth, as a chuck from Ross to try to locate Jacoby Ellsbury hidden second went into a outfield with dual out and dual strikes on Mark Teixeira. Though radio cameras were on Ellsbury advancing to third and branch for home, home image referee Andy Fletcher had called strike 3 on a play, finale a inning.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE RED SOX
– Credit Pedroia for both a gutsy preference and a good slide, though his try during stretching a singular on a round strike to shoal left core into a double cost a Sox in a tip of a sixth inning. Pedroia challenged a arm of Ellsbury and slid to equivocate a tab during second base. He was primarily called safe, though a plea from Joe Girardi yielded a scold call that he was tagged in a thigh before touching a bag.
– In a diversion suggestive of John Lackey‘s widespread 9 scoreless innings that yielded him a no-decision behind on a Jun 18 opposite a Twins, a Sox saw their staring pitcher spin in a glorious performance, usually to accept minimal run support. The Red Sox themselves had usually 5 hits by a initial 8 innings. They finished with 7 on a night.
Interestingly enough, Napoli also homered to win that diversion opposite a Twins as well.